Sunday, July 11, 2010

2010 MLB All-Star 5K

At pretty much the last minute, I decided to run the 2nd Annual MLB All-Star 5k. It was at Angel Stadium in Anaheim during All-Star weekend! I got up early and went down to register before the race. The traffic trying to get into the stadium parking lot was insane! Luckily, I was texting my friend and she was giving me updates on the line to register, where to go, etc. I finally parked, and rushed over to registration. I was impressed with how they did it. They had a bunch of laptops set up. You swiped your ID and it populated your entry form. Then you swiped your credit card. Done! It told me my bib number, and I went to another line to get my bib, then another to get my t-shirt. A quick trip to the car to drop off the t-shirt, then it was off to the start line.

Looking at my friend's post-race pics, I saw that Jillian Michaels and Gabrielle Union were at the start line cheering people on. I completely missed that. Oh well. My goal for this race was to come in under 30 min. I was pretty sure that I could do that. Once we crossed the start line, though, it looked like it might not happen. The course was packed for pretty much the whole race.



I spent a lot of time weaving in and out of walkers. Despite that, Garmin was telling me I was keeping a good, sub 10 min/mile pace. I stopped to walk a few times, and there was a water/gatorade station, too! As we approached Angel Stadium I was feeling like I could really do this! Then, we entered the stadium. I knew that all hope of a sub 30 was out the window. We practically came to a halt as we entered the stadium! It was really cool to run around the warning track of the field, but people were really going slow. At that point, I should have just walked and took pictures, too! Oh well. We exited the stadium and I booked it to the finish. Official time: 31:41. Not bad for all the slowdowns, but disappointing nonetheless. I had a great time, though, and a nice morning with friends!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment