Thursday, September 24, 2009

How to complete a 1/2 marathon at 34 weeks pregnant

I'm a little late on this one, I know, but here are some helpful hints if you absolutely must wog a long-distance race when you are oh-so-very-pregnant...

1. Make sure your doctor knows what you are doing. My doctor kind of advised against it, but at my appointment 3 days prior to the 1/2, all my vitals looked good (blood pressure, urine, baby's heartbeat, etc.). She saw no reason why I wouldn't be able to do it, as long as I stayed well hydrated and was prepared to stop if I started to get dizzy, etc.

2. You had been training prior to getting pregnant, and have been relatively consistent throughout the pregnancy. My longest wog before the 1/2 was a 10 miler done 3 weeks prior. Also, you are not a first-timer. I had 2 1/2's and a full under my belt in the past year, so my legs and body had seen the distance before. If you've never done a 1/2 marathon, I would advise you to wait until after the baby.

3. Have good, moisture-wicking running clothes. Please see previous posts about my running gear. I can't say enough about the Fit Momma running skirt. You are comfortable, cute, and well-covered.

4. Belly support is essential! I used a hydration belt that doubled as belly support. I would not have been able to do the race without it. In addition to keeping me hydrated, it kept the belly up, minimized bounce, and took pressure off the pelvis.

5. Good, cushioned running shoes that are suitable for your current weight/foot shape. I am normally a neutral shoe runner. However, the extra weight of pregnancy put added pressure on my already low-arches. I put some stability insoles in my neutral shoes and my arched didn't ache. I had some rubbing and potential blisters, but my arches were fine.

6. Race to finish, not PR. I knew that my only goal was to finish. In fact, my time was a whole hour slower than my best 1/2. There is plenty of time later to PR. Keep that baby safe!

7. Finally, stay hydrated, fuel often, and have fun! I took both water and powerade at each water stop. I did end up having to use a portapotty once, but staying hydrated was definitely key in me being able to finish the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment